Monday, September 6, 2010

Nominate Gail Sweet for I Love My Librarian Award

Gail Sweet, library director of the Burlington County Library System, should be nominated for the 2010 Carnegie Corporation of New York/New York Times "I Love My Librarian Award."  See all my blog posts on Gail Sweet for the reasons why.

I know the American Library Association [ALA] opposes librarians like Gail Sweet who do not yield to its demands, and I doubt the ALA, which administers the award, would ever give such a librarian the "I Love My Librarian Award."  However, I know most in her community love Gail Sweet.  There is always the chance that since the ALA only administers this award, its sponsors, namely, the Carnegie Corporation of New York and the New York Times, will insist on fairness.

September 20 is the cut off date so this must be done by then.

The following is based on an ALA press release on the award:

The Carnegie Corporation of New York/New York Times "I Love My Librarian Award" encourages library users to recognize the accomplishments of librarians in public, school, college, community college and university libraries for their efforts to improve the lives of people in their community.

Winners get $5,000 and will be honored at a ceremony and reception in New York, hosted by The New York Times.  In addition, a plaque will be given to each award winner's library.

Each nominee must be a librarian with a master's degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association [ALA] in library and information studies or a master's degree with a specialty in school library media from an educational unit accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.

For more information and to nominate a librarian, visit www.ilovelibraries.org/ilovemylibrarian.

The award is supported by Carnegie Corporation of New York and The New York Times.  It is administered by the ALA, the oldest and largest library association in the world, and The Campaign for America's Libraries, ALA's public awareness campaign about the value of libraries and librarians.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments of a personal nature, trolling, and linkspam may be removed.